The Presqu’ile Point Lighthouse Preservation Society is a group of dedicated volunteers who are committed to arresting the deterioration of the Presqu’ile Point Lighthouse, restoring the structure to the former beauty and commanding presence it once enjoyed in the community, and maintaining it for future generations.
“Let Our Light Shine.”
Our Core Values
We uphold these core values in the promotion of the Preservation of our lighthouse. They represent what we believe in, what we stand for, and how we approach everything we do.
- Our vital role in our public society
- Innovation and a sense of hope for success
- Responsible stewardship
- Honesty, Transparent and Ethical
- Committed & Open-minded to the process of restoring the lighthouse
- Professional Judgement
What do these core values mean?
- The nonprofit sector’s vital role in our society: A strong and independent volunteer sector is essential for weaving the social, cultural, environmental, and economic fabric of our society. It provides needed services, gives people a way to participate as citizens and volunteers.
- Innovation and a sense of hope: We believe that we can create a plan to ensure the continuation of the lighthouse structural strength and beauty for generations to come.
- Responsible stewardship: We are aware of the need to maintain careful stewardship of all human, natural, and financial resources in promoting the preservation of our lighthouse. This means we use carefully the time and talents of those working with the Society; we are environmentally responsible, and we spend wisely the funds provided to us.
- It is crucial that the members of our society remains beyond reproach; Not only must the group pursue honorable initiatives, but it must conduct business in a way that is honest, transparent and ethical.
- We remain committed to the process of restoring the lighthouse back to the beautiful and commanding presence it once enjoyed, but remain open minded about the different processes to achieve this goal.
- Our Society members exercise professional judgment in appraising, acquiring, and processing the information necessary to ensure the preservation of the lighthouse.
Keepers of Presqu’ile Park Lighthouse Association
The members of the Presqu’ile Point Lighthouse Preservation Society are known as KOPPLA – The “Keepers of Presqu’ile Point Lighthouse Association”. These members are individuals from the Brighton area and abroad who are interested in maintaining the Presqu’ile Point Lighthouse as a powerful symbol of local legacy.
KOPPLA will undertake a campaign of public awareness to educate the community about the perilous condition of the lighthouse and to explain the value of the lighthouse as both a heritage site and a tourism resource. Interest in the preservation of the lighthouse is high around Brighton and abroad.
KOPPLA will partner with all organizations and individuals who wish to help. This will be a community effort!
The Keepers crest was worn by the lighthouse keepers on their lapel.
- The large K stands for “Keepers”,
- The white in the K represents the white colour of the lighthouse,
- The dark blue bottom of the crest represents the water,
- The light blue top the sky,
- The red outline of the crest represents the red at the top of the lighthouse,
- And the yellow represents the light shining from the lighthouse. Our use of the crest and name KOPPLA, Keepers of Presqu’ile Point Lighthouse Association, reminds us of the “Keepers” responsibility to keep the lighthouse.